Saturday, April 17, 2010

Pregnancy 1 vs Pregnancy 2

The differences between my pregnancy with Campbell and this pregnancy are outstanding. A few differences to date (14 weeks tomorrow).

1. When I was pregnant with Campbell, there was never a day (or minute :) that I forgot about being pregnant. I thought about it constantly, talked about it constantly, and constantly fantasized about her and having her with us. Although I am very excited to welcome a new addition to our family, I just don't have that same preoccupation as I did before. I actually forget I'm pregnant a lot of the time. I attribute a lot of that to being so much busier than we were then, being content with our family of 3 for the moment, and to feeling so good this time around.

2. I was exhausted when I was pregnant with Campbell. Like take two or three naps a day tired. This time, I haven't really felt tired at all. I'm not going to lie, I go to bed fairly early most of the time and sleep great at night...but that's not so different from my norm. I had some nausea initially, but even that went away about 8 weeks and was never very severe.

3. At this point in my pregnancy with Campbell I had already gained 16 pounds. (I only wish I was exaggerating!). I've gained one pound so far this pregnancy. I am beyond pleased with this particular difference!

4. With Campbell, from about 6 weeks on I KNEW it was a girl. Never once did I waver. By this point in my pregnancy with her I had bought an excessive amount of girl clothes. This time, I have basically no intuition regarding gender. Makes for interesting name discussions...and a hard time waiting until 20 weeks!

5. I had a lot fears when I was pregnant with Campbell about something being wrong with our baby. At times I felt preoccupied with worry about things that could go wrong. It is not at all that I don't care or don't long for a healthy baby this second time, I think I just have more realistic expectations and the benefit of some experience. I know what it is like to walk a terrifying journey about your child's health, and although one of the most difficult struggles I've had in life, I am also grateful for the changes in perspective, faith, and relationship that were the outcome of Campbell's sickness. My OB told me recently that you have about a 2% chance of your child having some kind of health issue. While I appreciate the low percentage, I mostly trust and appreciate the God who walked us through such a struggle with Campbell, showed Himself faithful, and changed us in the process.

Just a few differences to date!

0 comments: