This is not something I ever imagined myself writing.
We are currently in the PICU at Texas Children’s Hospital. Campbell was admitted to the ICU early Friday morning after being in the Emergency Room since Thursday night.
Last weekend, Campbell started running a high fever. Through Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday she continued to run a high fever. We visited the pediatrician several times, who ruled out the flu, a UTI, and Roseola. By Tuesday evening, Campbell ’s fever had become low-grade, however her symptoms seemed to become worse. Through Wednesday and Thursday morning, she became increasingly more lethargic, ate less, drank less, lost interest in playing, and her appearance started to look worse. On Thursday the pediatrician told us to come back in. Upon seeing Campbell she ordered labwork, suspecting she might be dehydrated. The pediatrician called us back that night and told us Campbell’s labwork indicated she was dehydrated and we needed to come to Texas Children’s for IV fluids.
We got to the ER, labs were drawn, and Campbell was hooked up to an IV for fluids. Because they were giving her potassium, it is customary to hook up heart monitors and blood pressure monitor. Campbell ’s first blood pressure reading was 225/160. The ER doctor speculated her blood pressure was higher because she was agitated. After getting her to sleep, her blood pressure continued to be alarmingly high.
We were moved to the PICU and they started running every test under the sun to determine what was causing the high blood pressure. In the meantime, they are giving her several blood pressure medications and have gotten her blood pressure at a safe level for the time being. Praise God we have ruled out some of the more scary options, including a brain tumor and abdominal tumors. Her heart, which has suffered some strain from the high blood pressure, is in good shape. Right now they are exploring several options involving her kidneys (turns out she has three – what a special girl!) that may be the cause for the high blood pressure, in addition to the dehydration, which the doctors are certain are connected.
There are a few things I know. One is that we are loved, Campbell is loved, by the Great Physician. We are resting confidently in the love God has for our precious daughter and for the power He holds to heal and provide answers.
The other thing we know is that this seemingly random occurrence of events that led us here is not at all random. Tests have shown that Campbell has had high blood pressure for at least a while. Our pediatrician has told us that they do not routinely check kids' blood pressure until 4 or 5 years of age. From the moment we got to the ER, nurses and doctors kept remarking to us how odd it was that she was so dehydrated, even though she had not been throwing up or having diarrhea - the normal causes of dehydration in children. After being told how grave her situation was, I had a few hours of panic, doubt, and hopelessness (I am her mother after all!). I have come to believe and now have amazing peace in knowing that God brought us here specifically for this time, because otherwise what was going on with our sweet daughter would have likely gone undetected for some time. All the events that led to us being here on Thursday night had purpose in Campbell ’s dangerous blood pressure being discovered before stroke, irreversible heart damage, or worse occurred.
Russ & I are so grateful for all the support, texts, visits, and phone calls. It is so helping us to keep some normalcy and we are keenly aware of the blessing of people in our lives.
Please pray for our sweet girl. Pray as the doctors seek to find answers, as we know Who truly provides answers. We are so grateful for all who are praying!
Saturday, October 17, 2009
Campbell
Posted by Kristin at 8:20 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
I am so sorry. My son, Landon was hospitalized almost 3 year ago (age 4) for high blood pressure. I know how scary this is for you guys. We went through so many tests too, and I know you would do anything just to know something soon.
In the end (after ruling out ALL the SCARY things) they found he had a scar on one of kidneys. Because it made the kidney a little smaller, it was telling the other kidney to work harder..cousing the high BP. They say over a few years, that the scar will heal itself. (they think the scar was caused from an undetected UTI or bladder infection when he was younger) I only share this with you, so you know that it could be something minor in the end! Like you say, she is in HIS hands!!
Praying hard for you all right now
Kristin,
You guys are in our prayers. I know how scary this must be for you. I write this with tears in my eyes because I look at my sweet Addilyn, who is Campbell's age and I cannot even imagine what it must be like to see your child go through something like this. I pray for God's peace and I pray that sweet Campbell responds well to everything and that you and Russ and Campbell all rest well in these next few days and know that you are being saturated with prayer! Love you!
Beth
We are praying hard for Campbell and you guys! When I first got the news, I thought, "This sort of thing just can't happen to them." Thankfully, I know that God is at work and the doctors are taking care of Campbell. I pray for a speedy diagnosis and recovery, rest and peace for all 3 Kings.
Post a Comment