Sunday, October 25, 2009

10 days

We are at the end of our tenth day at Texas Children’s. Eleven days ago we brought Campbell to the Emergency Room, thinking nothing was wrong other than a virus and a case of dehydration.

Campbell’s blood pressure has stopped responding to the medication for Liddle Syndrome. Over the past three days the doctors have increased the dosage about 400%, spread out the medication into two doses in order to insure she has the medication active in her system throughout the day, and yet her blood pressure has continued to remain erratic. Over the past few days it has been on the high side and has necessitated an additional blood pressure medication to lower it immediately. Today her blood pressure continues to rise, despite a small dose of an alternate blood pressure medication. While the doctors have not completely ruled out Liddle Syndrome, it seems they are definitely moving away from that as the diagnosis of choice, as she is just no longer responding to the medication.

Which kind of brings us back to square one, in a sense. The doctors are seeking to determine why Campbell has such extremely high blood pressure, rather than to just send her home on blood pressure medications without determining the cause. The initial blood pressure medications she was on, which stabilized her dangerously high pressure, are not medications that she could remain on long-term anyways. We are scheduled for the DMSA scan of the kidneys for tomorrow. This evening they started an IV that is needed for this nuclear test. We have high hopes that this test will show something that could be causing her high blood pressure. There are still a lot of lab results that have not come back yet, but we have been told that these labs (which were done on the first day in the PICU), could possibly shed some light on what is causing Campbell’s blood pressure. There is also an additional test of the kidneys that may be done Tuesday, depending on the results of the DMSA scan and labwork.

So basically we wait. While grateful for the things that we know are not wrong, I feel frustrated with not knowing, frustrated with the pokes, bruises, and bloodwork, frustrated that my sweet daughter has to go through this at all. And as much as I know God is trustworthy, I feel scared. Scared of a life for her that involves a blood pressure monitor every day. Scared of more hospital stays. Scared of answers not coming.

I do feel so grateful that Campbell has taken all this in stride. While there are moments that are definitely bad for her (who would like to be woken up at 5:00 am everyday with a blood draw?), she has been the sweetest, happiest girl for the most part. Sometimes I wonder if she thinks about home, her bed, her toys, and her cats, but she seems thrilled to spend her days surrounded by and attended to by all the people that she loves the most.

I know so many are praying. For that we are so grateful. Please continue to ask God to provide answers. Please pray for Russ and I, and our families, for endurance. I want to choose faith, to choose to believe in God’s power and purpose in this situation, however there are many moments in the last few days where that seems so hard.

6 comments:

Nedd Family said...

You and your family are in our thoughts and prayers!

The Reeves bunch said...

Oh, Kristin, I am so sorry that you are having to go through all of this. We will definitely be praying for you.

Michele said...

The Klepac family will continously go to our Lord in fervent and faithful prayer, pleading for answers and calm assurance for you and your whole family. We will praise Him for His loving arms and healing power. We love you.

Ruth said...

I thought of a comment by Dr. Rachel Naomi Remen, from a Speaking of Faith program I heard. She said, "We thought we could cure everything, but it turns out that we can only cure a small amount of human suffering. The rest of it needs to be healed, and that's different. It's different. I think science defines life in its own way, but life is larger than science. Life is filled with mystery, courage, heroism, and love. All these things that we can witness but not measure or even understand, but they make our lives valuable anyway."

I've learned that healing takes time, and that it's a real lesson in totally trusting God to show me how to be and how to grow during the wait. And, as my pastor reminded me Sunday, God is there in the silence. I just have to see and hear Him in ways I didn't expect.

We love you guys...are grieving and hoping with you!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update. Praying for sweet Campbell and for you and Russ to have strength during this trying time! I love you all and praying this verse over y'all:
"I sought the LORD, and He answered me,and delivered me from all my fears." Psalm 34:4

Amanda said...

Russ and Kristin, I'm a friend of Missy's and came here by way of her blog. I just wanted to say that I'm praying for your precious daughter and I'm so sorry that you're dealing with this. I pray that you will feel God's strength and peace today.
Love,
Amanda