Thursday, May 14, 2009

Five hundred twenty-five thousand six hundred minutes

How do you measure a year?



May 14, 2008





May 14, 2009

Campbell Rose King,

It is unbelievable that a year has passed since we saw your sweet face for the first time. What a beautiful day. After so many months of waiting to see what you looked like, waiting to meet you, you were honestly the most beautiful thing your daddy and I had ever seen.

You were born looking just like your daddy. A year later, you have changed so much and yet you still look...just like your daddy! So many mothers are sad that their babies don't look like them, but it makes me happy to look at you and see so much of the man I love.

There is so much I could write about the joy you have brought to our lives. From your sleepy newborn cuddles to the ticklish laugh of our big one year-old girl, every day of the past year has brought a new joy. Watching you grow and change, watching you discover so many things about the world, and literally watching your little personality become evident, we are often in awe that this is the same sleepy girl we brought home from the hospital. While we adored every second with your sleepy, newborn self, we have had so much fun with our smiling, talking, crawling girl. You have become quite the busy girl! Since you spoke your first word a few months ago, you are constantly telling everyone you see "hi!". I love when we're in a store and you tell everyone we see "hi!", when I leave the room and come back in and you tell me "hi!", and how EVERY time you see one of the cats, you tell them "hi!". You have the sweetest disposition, Rosey.

But I couldn't tell of your changes, baby girl, without also telling of the changes your presence in this world has brought to daddy and I. Because of you, we have learned to communicate better. We have learned to appreciate and value our time alone together more. Because of you, we have become so much more intentional about our relationship, as we know you are going to learn about marriage from watching us. Our marriage is stronger because we are your parents. Because of you, we have learned to trust God in ways we have never had to before. There have been few instances of faith in my life more difficult for me than to trust that God loves my Campbell even more than I do. While at times this has been beyond difficult for me, I am coming to understand more and more how God feels about us humans - all from being your mommy. We are better because God gave us you.


Happy 1st birthday darling girl!


We love you,
Mommy & Da-Da



6 comments:

Angela said...

Happy Birthday, beautiful baby! We love you so much!
The McClinton Clan

Penny said...

Happy Birthday Sweet Campbell!

Stephanie & Scott said...

kristin, my two kids are asleep and i'm sitting on my couch crying my eyes out...from reading your sweet sweet letter to Campbell! your words were beautiful and honest. thank you for sharing them. SEE you soon.

Ashley Smith said...

Happy 1st birthday beautiful girl! You have such a joyful spirit and shining face. May you have a blessed second year.

Erin said...

very exciting! i hope y'all have a wonderful birthday weekend! amazing how fast a year goes...

Missy said...

I can't not believe she is already a year old! Honestly, couldn't read the letter - I started crying at the first sentence. I am sure it was just perfect though. :)